Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Forget the Scale!




Dear Diary,

I am infatuated with my scale. I weigh myself every morning,  it's part of my daily  routine, I get on it just before I step into the shower. You ask the reason I do this? Umm well, just because the scale is right there on the bathroom floor just beneath the towel rack, alongside the toilet.  It calls out to me and dares me to come on over and get my daily reading; my daily dreaded number. Yes, yes, I know it's just a number and that it doesn't mean all that much, but that number does linger in the back of my brain (behind all the unimportant stuff) and I admit it kind of affects my mood. So, I guess I have a love/hate relationship with my scale. Some days I love it, but most days I hate it!

Yours truly,
Scaled-obsessed

Dear Scale-obsessed,

DROP THE NUMBER!

Interestingly enough research shows that the anxiety from the "number" on the scale often plays a significant role in causing people to fall of the bandwagon and give up on weight loss and general healthier lifestyle goals.

The scale is a poor indicator of your progress. Along with fat, it also measures muscle and water weight. So, if you're working really hard at the gym to build lean muscle, then chances are good that you have lost fat, however, this may not reflect on the scale as muscle actually weighs more than fat. Or if you were rather thirsty and guzzled water just before you stepped on, your daily number may be higher than it was yesterday when you were dehydrated. If your scale is not one of the fancy shmancy types that calculates TBW or total body water, then your scale is weighing your water along with your fat, muscle etc.

Bottom Line: -  Do yourself a favor. Chuck your scale! Put it out of sight and out of mind. You will feel liberated. It is a poor indicator of your weight loss goals and overall health, and serves as a source of stress which is detrimental to our health and well-being (the complete opposite of what we are trying to accomplish here!).

Yours truly,
Idy Neuman MS, RD, CDN

















































































No comments:

Post a Comment